Blog Archives

30 Days To A Blog Challenge–Day 15

day 15

More Tweaks and Edits

It’s three weeks in, and this is my 15th post for my 30 Day Blog Challenge. Why post 15 and not 21 if you’re three weeks in, Kelly? My challenge is not a post-a-day challenge, but rather producing quality posts during my ‘learning to blog’ process. My goal is 20 quality posts, and I think I’ll meet that challenge.

In my Day 13 post, I wrote about changing my header image. Since then, I’ve changed it again. While the image itself is the same, I altered the text. I kept Cathartery in all caps–stylistic choice–but changed the font so the letters had more space between them and didn’t appear so jammed up.

Next, I also discovered that the title wasn’t centered. It looked funny to me, and so I finally measured it with an old-school ruler to confirm my suspicion. Back to Picmonkey for a redo of the image with the title centered. At this point, I also added a tagline for clarity regarding the blog’s focus and purpose. My new header image is the current one you see on my blog now.

The last change I made was to my Gravatar text in my sidebar. I also needed this text to reflect and clarify the focus/purpose of the blog. People have to read, discern, and absorb so much information now, clarity is King. More Hemingway, less Shakespeare. Those of you who know me personally also know how much this hurts.

In three short weeks, I finally feel the most satisfied with the blog. The theme colors, background color, and header image all go together well. My tagline, Gravatar text, and About Me text also all reflect the same focus and purpose of the blog. My ‘About Me’ is too short, but I will edit it by the end of the challenge. I’ve written three posts on art topics, rather than just beginner blogging, and I’m happy with those. My writing style is fairly consistent, and I recognize when I am beginning to digress, and so edit without bad feelings. I am truly beginning to enjoy this ‘blogging thing.’

Thanks for reading!

Advertisements

30 Days To A Blog Challenge–Day 13

day 13

Changing the Blog Header Image

Early on in this blog challenge, I knew my header image had to go. Despite my affection for late 19th century advertising and anatomical art, it was time to move on and move up to something a little less tacky.

It was difficult to do because I had made the header image myself in picmonkey. I wasn’t attached to my product per se, but I spent about 8 hours making it, including time spent finding the images to edit. Here is the header image, below:

cathartery collage

My header had ceased being a mere image, but had become a symbol. It represented two things: First, the blog itself, in a way. It was the second major task I did in setting up the blog, after I decided on the name. Since the header included the name of my blog, it also became my blog’s identity. It was hard to change identity.

Second, learning rudimentary photo editing. I used picmonkey because it was both free and recommended for beginners. Even though the image is definitely amateurish, at the time I thought it was a solid representation for Cathartery–a mash-up of the words ‘catharsis’ and ‘artery’–exactly what art means for me.

It took several weeks to arrive at the ‘ok, lets just do this’ destination, but I did. So back to PicMonkey. I wanted something simpler, cleaner, and less tacky. Overall, it took about 20 minutes, but to be fair, I wasn’t using any images. Still, a lot less time spent than before. Here is the new header image, below:

Cathartery Header 2

In PicMonkey, I started with a soft pink canvas, then went to textures. I chose ‘paint’ and moved the texture around until I was satisfied with the image. Next, I clicked on text, and chose ‘Felix Titling’ for my font from ‘my fonts.’ I didn’t want either solid black or stark white for the font color, so I ended up with this pinkish color that I’m not really satisfied with, but liked the other choices less. In WP, I am using the Mystique theme, the background color is a pinkish-gray, and I changed the color that appears behind the text in my sidebar tabs to gray.

For now, I am satisfied. The overall look is cleaner, and more cohesive and unified. I’m sure I’ll want to change this in the future, and when I do, it won’t be as painful.

Thanks for reading!